Friday, March 8, 2013

Film: Disney's Robin Hood

I think I gave this movie to my sister for my nieces to see.  But now I'm not sure if that was a good idea.  This movie is so much more bleak that I remember.  It's really kinda bipolar.  First it's merry and care-free, then a zanny archery contest and battle, and then it gets depressingly bleak.  Everyone is starving and poor, and it's raining, and then poor Friar Tuck gets arrested!

Friar Tuck is a badger.  I think.  I wonder if he ever gets told "Quit badgering me!"  I'd have said that all the time if I was a kid in that church.  At least he's a sincere priest and not sneaky or evil.  Those are pretty rare in film.

This movie isn't the masterpiece I remember.  The atmosphere is great in some scenes but the wackyness of other scenes ruined it a bit.  Still okay.  How often do you see a chained mouse beg for a crumb of bread, and then shared his crumb with the rest of his chained up family?  This should be PG-13.

Alan-A-Dale: Oh, incidentally, I'm Alan-A-Dale, a minstrel. That's an old time folk singer. My job is to tell it like it is, or was, or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment